July 4, 2006

Modified Fruit Cake (Trail Mix Version)

Description:
For her birthday, my grandmother decided she wanted a fruitcake. So, though I couldn't marinate it for months, I decided to make one anyway. It turned out to be a hit. Unfortunately, I didn't save the page that I got the recipe from. So today I decided to make my own version of fruit cake -- a sort of trail mix version, without the peanuts.

Ingredients:
1/2 c. - 1 c. currants
1 T. orange rind
1/2 c. - 1 c. raisons
1/2 c. dried, sugared pineapple
1/2 c. dates
1/2 c. dried sweetened cherries (not the overly sugary candied variety)
1/2 c. dried papaya
4 c. pecans
2/3 c. oatmeal (i used thick-rolled oats)
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1 c. softened butter
1 c. sucanut
5 large eggs
rum or brandy

Directions:
soak the currents, raisons and orange peel overnight in rum or brandy. (i used just enough almost cover the fruit.)

set the oven to 250 degrees (F). beat the butter and sugar until well mixed. add eggs one at a time. scrape the bowl to make sure the eggs are well mixed in. add the flour and mix just until the flour is thoroughly mixed in. add the pecans, oats, and fruit.

pour into 2 loaf pans that have been lined with wax paper. cook for 2 1/2 hours.

serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note!