January 22, 2007

January 18: Cambridge and Histon

i thought this was hilarious. ;-)

Written from Histon

This morning Vanessa had to get to work right on time (for a meeting that ended up not happening, as it happens) so we could either get a ride to the park & ride and take a bus from there, or we could take a bus from Histon. Rob doesn’t like buses, though. So we walked in to Cambridge. (1 hour, 30 minutes. intermittant rain. wind. attacking thorn bushes.)

While walking we passed by some subway signs that we’d seen before. We thought it was odd that we saw signs for a subway, but Vanessa had never mentioned using the subway to get into Cambridge. (Plus we’d never seen these subway signs at any other place in the city besides this intersection.) Then we realized that the “subway” was really just a way for pedestrians to go under the round-a-bout and come back out on the other side. !!!

We decided to go to the cafe first so I could post three days worth of photos. (I only managed to get two posted. It takes awhile to check email, upload photos, add descriptions, etc.)

Then we headed off to the Fitzgerald Museum. Unfortunately, in an attempt to take a short cut, we went through one of the colleges only to find that all the gates on the far end were locked. :-P So we had to go all the way back out and around.

The museum was free (bonus!) but we had to check in our backpacks (which freaked Rob out because he had his computer in there). (I should add that for all of these places that we went in for free, we always gave a bit of a donation any way. So a 6 pound donation is $12 of free museum. ;-) ) We were a little disappointed that several galleries were either closed or under renovation. But there were several great pieces of artwork and by the end we were entirely overwhelmed all the same.

(Vanessa just mentioned that even Tony Blair doesn’t vacation in England because it’s so expensive. They go to Italy instead.)

After the museum we were pretty much wiped out. So we started to head back home. We stopped and got a microphone for Vanessa so she can Skype with her friends and family back in the states. And we picked up some t-shirts for the kids. (We also stopped in a less windy spot (I kid you not, the wind was CRAAAAAZY) and called the kids to say good morning.) Then we started back towards Histon.

We stopped at the Castle mound on the way, mostly because we just hadn’t seen it yet. Talk about windy. Rob actually got blown over while he was trying to take pictures of the wind whipping my hair arouind. It was insane on the mound and over the highway and it was just at an incredible level when we were walking along the streets. We saw a wooden fence and two brick walls that looked like the wind had torn chunks out of them. (We’ve walked up this road once or twice before and didn’t see the fences/walls messed up so we’re assuming it was from the wind.)

We stopped by several bars hoping to grab a pint but we’ve learned that many bars that aren’t in the center of Cambridge don’t open until 5. (They’re essentially open for lunch and dinner and not in between.) So we trudged on home and had a beer and cider at Vanessa’s (and some leftoever lentils).

Then Vanessa dropped us off at Patrick’s on her way to class. The kids were all at his house and I snapped a picture of Nathaniel with his famed (and favorite) chocolate spread sandwich. ;-) I helped Rebecca a little with her math homework while Rob and Patrick talked start-ups and Patrick served us some wonderful tea. (I had a gunpowder green. I think Rob had something black.)

Then the kids and Patrick ate a quick dinner and the girls started watching Legally Blond (gag!) while Nathaniel and I cruised around neopets>http://www.neopets.com%E2%80%9D">neopets.

After Vanessa’s class she came and picked Rob, Katie and I up but the other two stayed over at Patrick’s for the night.


  1. Did you have a lot of trouble adjusting to the time difference? Were you zonkered in the English morning?

  2. These are the days when it sucks to have long hair.

  3. no. we seemed to adjust quite easily.

    but like i said, roz is a fierce taskmistress. she wouldn't let us go to sleep the first day until after 9 pm. she swore to us that that's the best way to adjust to the time change. and between that and walking all day in london the very next day, we didn't really get a chance to feel sleepy again until we dropped into bed monday evening.

    it'll be interesting to see how we adjust back. i went to sleep at 8 pm chicago time last night but rob woke me up a few times and at 3 am (which would be 9 am, GMT) i wasn't able to fall back to sleep. so i'm not really on chicago or colorado time yet, even though i've already spent a night in the states. i'll probably end up falling asleep while i put the kids to bed tonight. it'll be like when they were younger and i'd start to fall asleep while reading to them. ;-)

  4. YeahBut ... sometimes, one needs to come aside and rest a while.
    If you know what I mean, and I'm sure you do.

    Aloha mai Nai`a, who's managers are not QUITE SURE what it is he does all day.
    One of the disadvantages of doing one's job well, off in a corner.

  5. ahahaha. this is the kind of thing i've missed out on, with beiing an only child.

  6. i think many american christians err on the side of resting rather than not becoming weary in doing good for the family of God. i think if we worked more at the doing good for the family of God, we'd have fewer feuds and church splits.

    i feel like for the past several years i haven't become weary helping the family of God because i'e been utterly weary taking care of the family of two high-maintenance twins and their big brother. ;-)

    i really miss the community dinners that we used to have in SF, but i don't feel up to doing them here because i can barely keep up with keeping the house decent. actually, i don't keep up with it. :-( oh well. i'm hoping that once the kids are a little older and i stop doing so many extra curriculars i'll be able to start hosting dinners again.

  7. Hiya, Meg. The kids do get to be less work as they get older, never fear. You will get your life back.

  8. i think as they get older the work is less physical and more emotional.

    when i was teaching in detroit, i always felt like i was going through emotional combat every day. the knives and guns in my classroom didn't ever bother me because they were never pulled out during class. what bothered me was all the vindictiveness and unwarranted anger and bitterness (not just against me but their classmates, their families, their friends, the bus system, white people and the whole world in general).


Leave me a note!