May 30, 2005

Forbidden Rice Flour Crepes with Seafood Sauce

Description:
I recently bought some Forbidden Black Rice Flour (because it was on sale and I couldn't pass it up for 59 cents a bag). I decided to try out one of the recipes on the back of the bag for "Sizzling Rice Crepes." The crepes were delicious, but they were crying out for something to go on top of them. So I tried making them again today and asked my husband what he thought. I was thinking that a shrimp sauce (like the shrimp sauce at Ti Couz in San Francisco) would be perfect, but I didn't have any shrimp on hand. So Rob recommended a salmon sauce.

So I include here the recipe for the crepes and the salmon sauce and I'll add the shrimp sauce when I give it a go.

Ingredients:
Crepes:
1 c. Forbidden Rice Flour
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. coconut milk
3/4 c. water (i used milk instead)

Salmon Sauce:
1 c. chicken or veggie bouillion (i used veggie with no salt added)
1/4 c. flour (i used ground hard red wheat)
1/4 c. heavy cream
2 t. curry powder
1 t. salt (or more)
about 1/4 c. tomato paste
1/2 c. milk (to thin it out a tad)
1 can wild salmon (farmed salmon is bad for other salmon and for the earth)

Directions:
Crepes:
Mix together all of the ingredients and cook over medium heat on a buttered skillet. Cook about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute or so on the other.

Sauce:
I just mixed everything together over medium heat then spooned it over finished crepes.

Adjustments that I'm hoping to make in the future:
I'd like to replace the salmon with shrimp. I also want to have a fresh salsa to toss on top -- probably just tomatoes and green onions -- to give it another texture.

14 comments:

  1. those look scary. I mean, theyre purple...but they sound good

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are SO yummy!

    they taste like someone took a yummy coconut curry dish and threw it in a blender and made pancakes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. If I made them here I would be the only one eating them LOLOL

    Perhaps a nice creamy garlic and prawn sauce would be nice over them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So tell me why this is so Meg?? Wouldn't farming the salmon (we have a lot of salmon farms here in Victoria where you can go and catch then yourself) be better for the wild salmon???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I'll try again, didn't work last time.

    Why would it be bad for the other salmon and for the earth to farm salmon.??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay it's not gunna let me post the quote I want to post. But that was referring to your mention of farming salmon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd say that article just about covers it. ;-)

    basically, barb, many of the same problems with factory farmed animals happen with factory farmed fish as well. PBS had a pretty gross/mind-blowing show on fish farming recently. there are some farms that seem to be doing an OK job of it: not crowding the fish, using sustainable practices, etc. but theyr'e certainly the exception, not the rule. and none of them raised salmon.

    (hmmm, that quote problem is interesting. it did the same thing for me. so i just gave up.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a great skillet you've got there! Would be perfect for roti aswell (yummm)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a Surinamese flatbread, which the industani in The Netherlands fill with either potato or chickpeas. The eat it with stews and it's YummY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm, like a stuffed naan or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unlike naan, roti is generally unleavened. Like pita, roti doesn't have to be stuffed. Those are monstly minor details, though. I'm all for calling the whole class of them "flatbreads". Except poori. Mmm... poori...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!